Re: debtags support proposed for xcontrol

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 08:19:44PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>> Packages.arch.gz isn't normally available for all architectures, and
>> pulling it at official-build-time it is illegal.
>
> Wasn't you arguing about methods to generate debian/control _before_
> official-build-time?  I mean parsing the Packages file to generate
> debian/control before the real build starts.

Yes and no.

I am trying to figure out if it makes sense for xcontrol to support
Debtags expansion.

If it causes xcontrol to only be usable unofficially (because it
violates policy even to _test_ if control file will change), then I am
pretty sure Simon will not want to adopt such feature.

If, on the other hand, it is possible to only be violent unofficially, I
expect Simon to consider adopting this.

>> Currently, xcontrol can run at any build-time, and break if control
>> changes, to avoid violating policy.
>
> This is the _current_ status by I wanted to discuss the future as
> you proposed.
>
>> Interesting in general here on the list, but I guess not that relevant
>> for xcontrol implemented in C++, with (it seems) its own pkg parser :-)
>
> Yep.  Feel free to provide a C++ implementation for this stuff.
> I'd happily adopt this, but I just have no experience in C++.

>> [1] I belive the junior:: facet in debtags was actually an
>> experiment, and not the proper approach generally for CDDs (to avoid
>> polluting the namespace) according to the Debtags maintainers.  If I
>> got that wrong, I am sure Enrico or others are happy to correct me
>> here :-)
>
> We also have the Biology facet for the very same purpose.  There was
> some decent DebTagging done by the Debian Med team.

The _very_ same purpose?

As I understand it, the junior:: facet is explicitly for the purpose of
the similarly named CDD, not generally for "related to youngsters".

I suspect the "Biology::" facet (rather than a "med::biology" tag), even
if in reality matching the packages included in your CDD, principally
has a more generic scope.  Right?

- --