Re: etch-simple-cdd: mirror tool wget

On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 02:42:48PM +0100, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen (tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com) schrieb am 14.01.07 um 13:05
> Uhr:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 01:09:44AM +0100, Wolfgang Schweer wrote:
> > > wget doesn't work for me, if there's a robots.txt file on the
> > > mirror server disallowing all user agents to follow links (in / or
> > > /debian/ sub dir). In that case only the index files are fetched.
> > >

> [..]
>
> > Use it with ftp:// ...
> >
> > Seems to work better.
>
> o.k.

if folks can confirm this, i would consider making this the default, as
http seems to not be working so well for everyone other than me :)

i mostly use it with http://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian , but have
also tested it from time to time with http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian ,
but i've had too many reports that it doesn't work very well to ignore.

> > Anyway, it would probably be even better to use the rsync tool
> > instead. This is what I currently use, and suddenly I don't need to
> > re-download everything on every CD build.
>
> according to Vagrant, not all debian mirrors support rsnyc ...

yes, or even if they support it, they explicitly ask that it only be
used by secondary mirrors (rsync is pretty hard on the server-side).

> just for the record; these primary mirrors don't alow recursive
> fetching for me:

that was an unpleasantly long list :(

live well,
  vagrant