Re: trying simple-cdd

On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 01:10:28PM -0500, lloyd@paisite.com wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 06:27:17PM -0500, lloyd@paisite.com wrote:
> >> Now it gets well into the build process, but hangs at "processing
> back-end
> >> etch." The cursor just sits there blinking at me. How long should I
> expect
> >> this step to take?
>
> > that sounds like debpartial-mirror, which is no longer the default, for
> that very reason. did you set mirror_tools in simple-cdd.conf or use the
> --mirror-tools commandline option?
>
> I'm picking up on the work that my son started, so I may be missing some
> steps. Here's what I did:
>
> 1. Starting in my own home directory I downloaded etch-simple-cdd
>
> bzr get http://cdd.alioth.debian.org/bzr/simple-cdd/etch-simple-cdd

i've made a number of updates in the last few days- it would be good to
do "bzr pull" from within the etch-simple-cdd directory to pull in the
new changes.

> 3. In profiles I created "test.packages," and added:
>
> xfce4
> gimp

you'll probably want to include the package "xorg", too. and maybe a
login manager, such as "gdm".

> My goal is the simplest possible build with no pre- or post-seeding until
> I understand the basic process. I want to walk before I run.

this is a very good idea. :)

> 4. In simple-cdd.conf, I added "profiles="test"

ok. note, that if you specify profiles using the --profiles commandline
option, there's no need to edit profiles in simple-cdd.conf.

> I don't understand what "set mirror_tools" means. Are these the variables
> you're talking about:

either using the --mirror-tools commandline option, or putting something
in simple-cdd.conf like so:

mirror_tools="foo bar baz"

> I note in etch-simple-cdd/README that you mention "up.to.date.mirror" but
> I don't know what you mean by that.

well, various debian mirrors may not be in sync. so by
"up.to.date.mirror" i meant a mirror that was "up to date" and current.

(i really need to update the README...)

> 6. And then:
>
> ./build-simple-cdd --profiles test --local-packages
> $(pwd)/../simple-cdd-profiles_0.3.0-1_all.udeb

is simple-cdd-profiles included in your mirror:

grep simple-cdd-profiles mirror/dists/etch/main/binary-i386/Packages

> After running for a very long time, the system returned with errors (I
> didn't have a printer hooked to dev machine, meant to copy them down, but
> accidently closed the console window.)

well, based on what you reported in the previous email (hangs at
"processing back-end etch."), it sounds like debpartial-mirror was being
used, rather than the current default tools, wget and reprepro.

so next, i would be update your etch-simple-cdd branch (bzr pull), and
then run:

./build-simple-cdd --profiles test --local-packages $(pwd)/../simple-cdd-profiles_0.3.0~1_all.udeb --mirror-tools "reprepro wget"

i don't know why it would be using debpartial-mirror instead if you
haven't included a mirror_tools= line in simple-cdd.conf or used the
--mirror-tools commandline option, but explicitly asking for reprepro
and wget should at least work around the problem.

live well,
  vagrant