cutom embedded root file system initialization question

This isn't the typical installation question. I already have a custom Linux
kernel (based on open embedded vanilla) for my embedded system that needs to
stay in place. However the root file system isn't hardware  / application
sensitive. I'd like to use Debian for the rfs. I've extracted the minimal
image from initrd. After reading the Debian installation manual I'm still
not clear on what script or where the Debian installation process is
started. The system doesn't have a cd so it can't start normally. I have an
installation cd image accessible to the system. So I'd like to find the
"magic" starting point that kicks off the installation process after my
kernel (not Debian) is up and running.
Thanks for pointers.