Re: Proposal for a new CDD project: Debian4Linux

[Luis Matos]
> for a network server in an horizontal business (office) your server has:

Debian-Edu/Skolelinux has this already:

> - dhcp with mac address tables
> - shares (samba, nfs, etc)
> - central auth (ldap)
> - central desktop preferenes (so anyone can use any computer.
> - central data/documentation
> - an http/ftp proxy

These are defined to be out of scope for debian-edu (use a
firewall/network centrib solution instead, there are plenty):

> - some routing/nat
> - firewall
> - vpn

This is not implemented out of the box:

> - security SElinux

Same, this is already present:

> for an workstation/desktop you have to:
>
> - configure network (dhcp client) (done)
> - configure ldap auth (limpam-ldap)
> - configue mounts over the network for every user (libpam-mount)
> - proxy automatically configured

(We use autofs-ldap)

Adn these are not implemented by default:

> - have SELinux enabled for security
> - enterprise desktop oriented applications
> - firewall (maybe this is not needed)

What is "enterprise desktop oriented applications"?
Debian-edu/Skolelinux got among other things office suite, web browser
and email reader.  What more is needed?

I believe you forgot a few things which we find important in skolelinux

 - Networked printer solution
 - Mail server
 - Backup system
 - Machine and service monitoring and trend reporting system
 - Synchrnoised clocks

Also, I would recommend having a look at thin client solutions.  They
make system administraton a lot easier.  Skolelinux/Debian-Edu
provides LTSP working out of the box, both for thin clients and
diskless workstations.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen