apt-build options

Hi,

I've tried tailoring apt-build (via apt-build.conf) to
use the Debian standard build options. The output from
any apt-builds that I do don't seem to indicate that
any of these options are being picked up at all. Does
anyone know how I can tell how a binary file was
compiled? I was hoping that it could have perhaps been
something as simple as `bash --compiled`, and it would
tell me it was compiled as i686 or something like
that. The `file /bin/bash` command does not seem to
give me what I'm looking for either.

Basically I want to recompile some packages with
better optimization, but so far I'm not convinced that
apt-build is actually doing that.

Thanks for your time and help.

---
Free as in Salvation