Adding an item to launch panel and desktop using gconftool

Hai ,

 I want to add any application icon , such as mozilla-firefox to
application launch panel and as a desktop icon ... using command line .. I
found it can be done using "gconftool" .. but Iam not getting the syntax
and what steps I have to follow to do this ....

Please any one help me in this out .. Send me an example of adding firefox
or any application to launch panel and desktop thru command line ..

Regards
Chandan