Re: Status of the CDD Toolkit

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Sergio Talens-Oliag wrote:

First, for the ones that don't read planet.debian.org,

Which is me.  Any links (or private mail) what happened to you?

Unfortunately I've had to go

"Had to go" does not sound funny.

Now, I would like to know if there is still interest on the toolkit and ask
to those interested what should I do now.

I personally have very big interest, because I stalled cdd-dev work to
wait for a working CDDT (and personal real live reasons but this is not
the main point).

My idea was to split the current system into different source packages and
upload the things that already work before than the things that still need
work.

Sounds reasonable.

Basically that will mean to upload the current cddt-runtime first, as it is
already usable to customize installed systems building configuration packages
(in fact it is probably usable by debian-edu and other people using
post-installation scripts).

Sounds promissing.

The second package will be the cddt-tools package, but it will have less
functionality that the one initially described, that is, I would add the
missing things to make it a good way of building metapackages from the current
CDD description files, leaving the implementation of the mainteinance commands
and the support of other package selection mechanisms like debtags for a
version 2 package.

While Debian-Jr decided to set the focus on DebTags I think having
something that supports metapackages is still important.  IMHO
DebTags might have great advantages over metapackages I think we
should do this *in adition* and not as a replacement.  Thus having
stable methods to build metapackages is important, IMHO.

And the last one will be the cddt-installer package, split into the needed
udebs (probably one will be enough) and the cddt-tools components related to
the installer (tools needed to get preseedings from the CDD description and to
be able to select CDD tasks to install).

All three things have more or less separable functionalities and thus
it might make sense to split them up into different binary packages
(generated from a common source once they are ready).

I don't know how much time I'll use to work on the CDDT in the near future,
but I'm sure that having someone else interested will help to keep the project
going and probably it can develop faster that before, as things have not been
as fast as I wanted them to be while being paid to work on the development of
a Debian Derived Distribution.

Hoping you get paid by someone else in the first place and continuing
to work in the second place for sure.