Re: Diskless CDDs: ltsp and lessdisks

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 01:38:25PM -0600, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> > This has little to do with custom distributions, either.  It is about LTSP
> > development, and it arguably belongs on the LTSP mailing lists.
>
> i disagree entirely. as i see it, this is about using a customized
> debian/ubuntu as a framework for diskless systems.

Exactly the same could be said about X, GNOME, d-i, and any number of other
components which are used in customized distributions.  That does not mean
that we should discuss their implementations here, except where we are
specifically adapting them for customization.  One wouldn't use LTSP or
lessdisks to create a custom Debian distribution, though it is something
that one might include in such a distribution as a component like any other.

I'm not going to waste any more time arguing about where the discussion
should be held; I have plenty of code that needs writing.

> my intent with this thread is to see where lessdisks and ltsp can
> collaborate, and ideally bring in others such a FAI, systemimager, etc.
> and possibly even create tools useable by distributions other than
> debian/ubuntu.

Collaboration between lessdisks and LTSP is even less on-topic here; in
fact, given the interest you have expressed in collaborating with LTSP, I'm
surprised you haven't approached the LTSP project about lessdisks, rather
than contacting debian-edu, debian-custom, me, etc.  It sounds like in the
process of LTSP you have developed some ideas similar to what Jim and I have
discussed regarding the relationship between LTSP and distributions.

--
 - mdz