Re: multiarch Netinstall CD

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

Martin-Eric Racine <q-funk@iki.fi> writes:

According to Joerg Jaspert, the LinuxTag 2005 DVD was made using the
standard debian-cd tool, but with a custom CD building template to
succeed in fitting those 3 architectures into the same ISO image.

The LT 2005 DVD was made by building 3 images of ~2Gb size (one per arch) and then merging them back into one image in a second round. That is very ugly for one thing and the size needs to be experimented with a lot to make it fit.

I independently reproduced this and succeeded in making a i386/powerpc CD. It works well as-is on i386, but my iMac fails to see it when powering up and holding C. I'm guessing that some mkisofs options are conflicting with each other, but I cannot figure out which ones. Could anyone enlighten me as to exactly which mkisofs options were used to make the LinuxTag DVD?

It turns out that the mkisofs options used by the Linux Tag team are available at http://www.soziologie.ch/~steinlin/d-i/netinst-ppc-i386/ (ISO and script).

This being said, runing that script on my own input dir still gives me a CD that only boots on amd64 and i386; booting it on a Power Mac by holding C fails, so does booting the image on an emulator (PearPC or QEMU). It looks as if blessing the Mac system directory (in this case, the install/ directory where yaboot and the Open Firmware bootscript reside) fails.

Any ideas on how to proceed about finding out what exactly fails?

--
Martin-Eric Racine
http://q-funk.iki.fi