multiarch Netinstall CD
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: multiarch Netinstall CD
- From: Martin-Eric Racine <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:33:58 +0300 (EEST)
- Message-id: <Pine.LNX.email@example.com>
Upon seeing the excellent work done for the LinuxTag 2005 DVD, featuring
Sarge CD #1 for amd64/i386/powerpc in a single DVD, I got the idea that a
perhaps even more desirable product would be a smaller 650mb CD based on
the Netinst image for as many architectures as can be made to cohabit on
the same installation media.
This CD would be based upon the Sarge release, but with a more recent d-i
that includes support for Rescue CD operation.
Such a CD would definitely be a tremendous hit as a handout at trade shows
and installfests, and for administrators as a one-size-fits-nearly-all
Debian installation and rescue media.
According to Joerg Jaspert, the LinuxTag 2005 DVD was made using the
standard debian-cd tool, but with a custom CD building template to succeed
in fitting those 3 architectures into the same ISO image.
My questions are:
1) What other architectures could be made to co-exist on the same media?
2) Would anyone be interested in helping to produce such a multiarch CD
based on the Sarge Netinstall images? The idea is to make a debian-cd
template, then submit it as a patch to the debian-cd package.
Comments and volunteers to put together such a project are welcome.