Re: (meta) configuration functionality

Jonas Smedegaard schrieb am Monday, den 23. May 2005:

> I believe the goal of CFG is to stay alive and be an extra layer of
> configuration management, integrated into the whole chain by tha Debian
> package maintainers, officially hackable by CDD-providers and officially
> maintainable by local admins. A much nicer goal, but also a more complex
> one to achieve: It needs to be adopted generally by Debian!

I believe the goal of Elektra is also to stay alive and be an extra
layer of configuration management that allows for an arbitrary number
of additional configuration layers to be inserted or removed (e.g. the
CDD layer). In Elektra's case it would not be integrated into the
chain by Debian package maintainers, but by the upstream developers
(although Debian package maintainers traditionally have held an
important role of helping move things upstream due to pressure from
their position and would do so here as well). Having this layer in
place would give CDD-providers a layer to hack with, as well as local
admins and users.

Its an ambitious and complex goal, something so ambitious that I
cannot fathom it happening without there being a coordinated push from
some place. I see this project as being a potential place where this
push could come from.

micah