Re: let's etch a common way of using debtags for CDDs and beyond!

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 12:39:24AM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> > And you don't want to call those tweaks "packages" because?
> > Packages can be home-made. They don't have to come from an official
> > Debian archive.
>
> When you hack a configuration file officially in a Debian package, it is
> done in "maintainer scripts", typically "postinst", and sometimes tied
> to a debconf-based question. Such maintainer script makes sense only as
> part of that package, not as an independent package.
>
> Tweaks are "maintainer scripts" for "CDD maintainers". As such they make
> sense as part of the CDD, not as independent packages.

Why not call them independent packages?

> If you want to
> package your CDD logo in a package,

What files exactly does that affect?

> your GRUB menu file in another,

The grub menu is generated whenever you install a kernel package. Currently
there is a "custom" part. Bug the grub package maintainer to have
/etc/grub/menu.d and then put your file there. End of story.

> and
> your distro PGP public key in a third,

You mean create another package like debian-keyring ?

> then feel free. I personally
> think they make sense only as part of the distro packaging, not as
> individual, self-contained .deb packages.
>
> I don't know the details of the d-i approach. Do you want the tweaks
> distributed as udebs, is that it?

As mentioned up this thread, the problem with the d-i approach, and also
with cfgengine and alike, that those work for install-time, but won't
work for later upgrades. Also consider the "source package" approach:
cdd-tool will create the appropriate binary packages at build time.

When working on our Rapid, I originally put many things in our custom
udeb. But it only took me one release to see that whatever is configured
there won't be applied when people will upgrade packages.

> > Can you provide an example of such a tweak that cannot be expressed as a
> > debian package?
>
> Here:
> http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/tweaks/oldtweaks/oldtweaks/gconf/desktop-profiles-support.cf?cvsroot=tweaks
>
> It is part of a proposed fix for this recent bug:
> http://bugs.debian.org/309871

Yet another chance to say:

"CGonf bad, Elektra good" (at least from package maintainers
perspective). This is really a flaw of GConf. However in there you edit
config files under $HOME, which is not something root should do, IMHO.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen@xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com