Re: CDD-package inside of Debian or out? (WAS: Re: let's etch a common way of using debtags for CDDs and beyond!)

El Fri, May 20, 2005 at 04:27:34PM +0200, Jonas Smedegaard va escriure:
> >>My idea is that the moment all parts of a CDD is part of Debian, the CDD
> >>has become irrelevant: The main Debian distribution is then able to do
> >>all of the CDD itself.
> >
> >   Sure, but you need to provide your package selections and the customizations
> >   scripts, that's what I want to include on Debian, that is, one CDD equals
> >   one deb.
>
> Debian packages are "source packages" used to generate software, and
> "binary packages" containing ready-to-use software.
>
> I see cddtk "CDD profile packages" like source packages.
>
> Binary packages fits fine in the Debian archive (as does udeb binary
> packages) but not show up using aptitude.

  I believe we are almost saying the same, but maybe you miss my point about
  the CDD binary package; for me it is like generating pdf and html versions
  of a file from source when building a documentation package, the CDD source
  package includes the CDD description, but the distributed .deb is parsed and
  validated by the CDDTool and can be used to install, upgrade and remove a
  CDD using a cddtk-runtime with minimal needs (shell scripts).

  The generation of the .deb is useful because it assures that the distributed
  description has been parsed correctly and also because we reduce the needs
  of the installation system (i.e., we avoid python or perl dependencies),
  usually not so important, but useful for installation systems and for any
  CDD that wants to have minimum requirements.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69