Re: let's etch a common way of using debtags for CDDs and beyond!

(Hi Blaine - been long time :-) )

On 19-05-2005 23:44, Blaine Cook wrote:

> Up 'till now, it's been very steeped in OWL and formal ontologies

I don't really know OWL, just throwing it at you all for discussion. So
thanks for providing alternatives.

> I'm sure you're  all familiar with del.icio.us [1], so that's what I'm thinking.

As a matter of fact, I was _not_ aware of that. Thanks!

> The complexity of all the systems that have been described thus far  is
> a primary concern - if we want to have maintainers adopt tagging,  it
> needs to be done in as simple a way as possible, with the  possibility
> for growth later.

(snip)

> 2. Use the fact that every debian package has an unique URI to enable
> tagging by anyone.

Are you aware that what Holger and I is trying here is to have two
different communities collaborate on a single shared set of tags?

The FAI community has a big pool of configuration tweaks, package
subselections and other control info for automatic setup of huge
networks - all tied to what they call "FAI classes".

Debtags aims at package tagging only, but in a similar global mindset in
their choice of groupings called "facets".

I am not against your proposal to let the facets/classes "evolve", but
beware that apart from the relatively high starting point of developing
a framework for a central "evolution spot", we also need to either adopt
current classes and facets, convince (development parts of) existing
communities to adapt, or provide translation mechanisms between
synonymous facets/classes (which means we could perhaps use *both*
del.icio.us, OWL and whatever local to each technology...?)

> 3. Create a couple of simple scripts that interact with a simple web
> API [3] to support tagging on the command line. The critical scripts
> would be:
>     a. "debtag <package> <tag>*" to enable user-tagging, and
>     b. "fetch-debtags <package>" to assist maintainers in adding
> debtags to their packages (to enable local apt-cache searches on tags).

Again, remember that package tagging is only part of the grand idea -
but your suggestion may still fit...

> Does this all make sense? I can definitely provide background  material
> that supports this argument. I'm *not* suggesting that we  should
> abandon all hope of creating a structured ontology for  packages - I
> believe the package-space is small enough that this  could be
> accomplished to some degree, but I'm also willing to bet  that with a
> rich del.icio.us-like tag infrastructure, and adoption by  users, some
> smart RDF or infosys hackers could automatically build it  based on
> popularity.

Sounds perfectly sane to me. Especially if adding synonym handling.

Wo, when do we start? :-D

> Another point to consider is that the formal ontology largely eschews
> internationalization - freeform tagging means that different  linguistic
> communities can determine their own most-appropriate tags,  rather than
> having a worker group dedicated to translating tags  (usually badly).

Could you please elaborate?

Localized _presentation_ of facet/class/tag names should not collide
with internal names being restricted to ASCII, or?

I'd compare tag names (and faceet/class names) with package names, and
those need be unique.

What could then be localized is short (and long?) descriptions of those
unique names.

 - Jonas

- --