Re: a FAI quickstart (Re: let's etch a common way of using debtags for CDDs and beyond!

Hi,

On Thursday 19 May 2005 18:25, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> >>  Are there any plans to have this package ready soon? Is somebody
> >> working on it?
> > It's available now and called fai, version 2.8.2 ;)
> Sure FAI is there - and has been for some time. But installing the
> Debian package "fai" (using a sane tool like aptitude) pulls in various
> servers and bootstrappers.

So, installing fai (on every machine) with all recommended packages is not
sane^Wrecommended. Even a sophisticated hammer (aptitude) still remains a
hammer ;-)

If you only want the tweaking capabilities of fai, install fai with apt-get or
dpkg. Quiet simple ;-)

Those recommends: where placed in fai's control file to make it easier for
people to try out FAI _and_ to make it possible to install fai everywhere
without pulling in all depends. (fai used to depend on debootstrap,
nfs-server and more.)
(The suggests: are truly optional for a FAI server. The recommends: not.)

For exactly these reasons it is planned _post-sarge_ to split the fai package
into smaller packages.

> The reason the tweaks needs to be separate from the rest is that they
> can then be included with installations needing to be tweaked (because
> no, not all installations will have network access so even no recent FAI
> support for CVS as alternative to NFS is not always good enough - the
> tweaks may possibly even be applied with other tools than the FAI ones).

NFS is not requiered anymore.

And even if you don't have a network (so you cannot use cvs or svn) you could
still put the fai package and a fai_configdir package (or cvs/svn
repositories) on cd.

regards,
	Holger (I will post more detailed instructions on this as I've written those.
To have time to write these is one reason for me not participating in this
thread as much as I want to... but if you have questions about fai, just ask
- either here or on the fai-list or on #fai on freenode)