Maximum size of commit messages

My last commit was rather large, exceeding the 40K maximum on the
cdd-commits list.  After an hour-long delay I finally clued in and
intervened manually, since I am the list administrator.  We need to
either trim the size of the posts made by our cdd-commits posting
script, or raise the maximum on the cdd-commits list, or both.

I am eager to hear everyone's comments and suggestions on this matter.

Regards,
Ben