Re: Bug in cdd-update-menus

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 11:39:57AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
>      cdd-update-menus -d med

found and fixed, you'll see it in the next commit.

The problem occurred only with --cdd/-d, and it was a bad variable name
passed to callee.

> This is really strange because I'm pretty sure that I tried the DRYRUN feature
> this morning and did a copy and past to create the right link.

probably you tried it as user or with --user.

> > Yes, in the sense I'm aware of it and dicided to posticipate decision to
> > include it in script.
> > No problem to include it when called as user (not by root with -u), but
> > I'd prefer to run it somewhere in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ for example, and
> > anywhere else it's needed. In this way is a CDD adds/removes menus form
> > /etc/cdd/<CDD>, script update it as soon as it's needed.
> "As soon as it's needed" is a nice concept. ;-)

If in Xsession.d, it would update menus before X session started :)

> I have no idea about X startup internals (you will be astonished about the
> amount of stuff I have no idea about ;-) ).  When I builded the first Debian-Med
> package my intention was to call update-menus in the package postinst script
> for every med (now cdd) user.  This might be to much (would be enough to run it
> in the end of an apt-get process (if there are more than one cdd- package
> we could save some time).  But if we put this into /etc/X11/Xsession.d/
> I guess it will be every time when X is started which leads to a slowdown
> of X startup, IMHO.  But as I said - if this is the normal (tm) way to
> handle update-menu mechanism for users it is really fine for me.

I do not know if it's the correct/normal way. For this reason I decided
to posticipate the inclusion of update-menus in cdd-update-menus and
think/gather infos about it.

If you run it in a postinst, you shoud run update-menus in a
/bin/su session, I dislike it.
User account is sacred ;), and I'd like to touch its home and its
account less then possible.

If I find a good/reasonable way to update users menu without
creating ~/.menu/cdd-user, I'd follow this way, for example.