Re: MPI binaries location

Hi Jean!

Am Dienstag, den 10.03.2009, 17:29 +0100 schrieb Jean Parpaillon:
> I'm currently packaging hpcc (HPC Challenge Benchmark). Several binary
> packages will be available, each one with different mpi implementations. Is
> there a preferred place to put mpi binaries ? I've seen that each mpi
> implementation has it's own bin/lib/share/include/etc hierarchy into
> /usr/lib/<mpi>
>
> Should I put the binaries into it ?

If MPI applications are build against multiple MPI implementations, the
usual way is to build binaries like hpcc.openmpi, hpcc.mpich, and so on
and use update-alternatives to provide /usr/bin/hpcc. [0]

If you'd like to look at an example, have a look at the gromacs source
package.

Best regards
Manuel

[0] Don't know about the actual executable name, but you'll get the
idea.