Re: mpich vs. openmpi

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 11:35 +0200, Pavel Jurus wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 of October 2007 04:22:08 Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Because my packages petsc, hypre, parmetis are moving to OpenMPI, I no
> > longer use, nor have a strong motivation for improving, my package
> > mpich.
>
> Hello,
>
> as a long-time user of mpich I'm interested how does openmpi compare to
> mpich2. Are there any particular reason why to prefer one over the other? Are
> there any compatibility issues when switching from mpich2 to openmpi? I tried
> to search web but haven't found anything useful.

Hi,

AIUI, OpenMPI has fault tolerance features which are not in the MPI-2
spec, and not in the mpich2 plans.  I haven't looked into this in
detail, as I don't have large enough clusters for this to be a major
issue.  But that was a major reason for me to migrate PETSc.

[Anyone else?]

-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/