[MPICH2] (handle_mpd_output 385): failed to handshake...

Hello,
I have installed MPICH2 from source on my Debian etch machines (only two at
the moment).
I have made a local process run through mpd, but the following happens:

$ mpdboot -n 2
mpdboot_derek-the-great (handle_mpd_output 385): failed to handshake with mpd
on 192.168.1.104; recvd output={}

However, if I modify ~/.ssh/rc on the remote machine to print out hello, I
get:

$ mpdboot -n 2
mpdboot_derek-the-great (handle_mpd_output 399): from mpd on 192.168.1.104,
invalid port info:
hello
50641

So, does anyone know what I've done wrong to cause this error? I understand
that the echo statement confuses things in the second instance, but what is
the problem in the first?
Thanks,
James Stanley

Free pop3 email with a spam filter.