Re: Diskful vs. diskless nodes & libg2c segfault

Andrej Prsa (andrej.prsa@guest.arnes.si) wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is my first post, so let me briefly introduce myself: my name is
> Andrej Prsa and I'm a postdoc at the Astrophysics Dept of Villanova
> University. About a week ago our spiffy new 24-core 6-node cluster with
> 2212 amd64 processors saw its first light of the office. It came with
> FC6 preinstalled, but since I'm a long time Debian fan, I switched the
> master node to etch immediately and will do so for the other nodes
> soon. This is the first of the two questions I have for you experts:
>
> What is the current "official" recommendation for the setup? I am
> inclining to diskless node installations and I am curious to know how
> difficult that would be. I have been browsing the web for the last
> week, but the beowulf debian page seems to be a bit outdated.

I haven't used it for a while, but in the past I have had a lot of
success with FAI. Great tool!

http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

However, with 6 nodes, FAI or diskless might be more work to
setup/maintain than just maintaining the 6 nodes directly.

--
Mats Rynge