Re: petsc_2.3.0-1_i386.changes REJECTED

Joerg,

Did you receive this email or any of this thread?  It's now more than
two weeks old, and I'd really like to upload a new PETSc 2.3.0 ASAP.  If
you didn't see it, the discussion was on debian-release, archive at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2005/11/msg00107.html , then
Steve Langasek moved it to debian-devel (and I copied debian-beowulf) at

In particular, can you please reply to:

      * Strong support for versioned -dev packages, and in particular,
        the PETSc alternatives system which lets admins choose between
        different versions or different builds of the same version
        (single/double/complex, with/without parmetis and hypre, gcc/ccc
        compilers, mpich/lab MPI implementation, etc.), and PETSC_DIR
        which lets user/developers choose between installed versions.
        Removing the version from the -dev package would cause all
        user/devs a lot of trouble during upgrades -- and the vast
        majority of users are devs, 43 have -dev vs. 45 the lib.
      * Inconsistent application of the "no empty packages" rule, a rule
        which is not found in policy (or if it is, please show me
        where), cf. octave, python(-dev), linux-image-2.6, etc.

As mentioned, I'd be happy to remove petsc-dbg, it's petsc-dev which is
important -- and installed by 39/43 of the users of petsc2.2.0-dev
according to popcon.

Regards,
Adam

http://www.take6.com/albums/greatesthits.html