Re: Huge AMD Opteron cluster installed with FAI and Debian amd64

Hi,

this discussion is interesting for me, as we're just about to update our
cluster. So far, we're using the messy setup Camm just described - and
this is no longer working reliably, as it's still based on an heavily
upgraded woody (we need gcc-3 among other things).

For that reason we have decided to go for sarge and want to get rid of
the problem keeping the nfsroots (/etc, /var and all the rest) of the
clients up to date after every upgrade.

As I understand, FAI can handle this - what is your experience? And how
does it work precisely, simply by chroot or some other method?
The problem we're facing is that most nodes are pc's with different
hardware configuration, so almost each node needs a custom kernel as
well. Is this supported well in FAI?

Btw. a nice way to increase the size of your cluster is simply to ask
the technicians for old hardware (which means everything >600MHz) that
is no longer used. Usually, these computers are from student labs and
would otherwise go to charity (which is of course fine as well...).

Matthias