Re: Making a 2>GB sized file.

Adam C Powell IV wrote:

>Hello,

Hello... ;^)

>I just got your bug (http://bugs.debian.org/208431) requesting large
>file support in mpich, and have two questions.  First, you mention early
>in your original post that the compilation options you used to build
>mpich still did not work; have you been able to make them work since?

Then, probably, I reported the same thing twice. Sorry. I failed the
whole try on the Sarge. But at one time, I passed the tests in the HDF5
package on the OpenSCE(RedHat based distribution for clusters). On the
OpenSCE, I used MPICH 1.2.5 configured with those options. I have no
idea about the failure on Sarge.

>Second, how (un)comfortable are other Debian Beowulfers with the 2.4
>kernel requirement that compiling with these options would entail?  That
>is, making this change would apparently force all mpich programs to run
>with the 2.4 kernel; is that something people are comfortable with?

I didn't test the options on 2.2 kernels. But the HDF5 installation
manual says that those options will work only on kernels 2.4 and
greater. So, I'm not sure that those options cause any side effects or not.