Re: Queue/Batch Systems

MauiME has a more limited feature set than Sun Grid Engine.  If you
properly define your needs, than you can determine which solution is
suitable for you.  If MauiME can meet your needs, then it is actually
an advantage that it is less complex.

Although everyone likes to dump on Java, a big advantage of Maui being
written in Java is that it is easy to override or enhance aspects of
the scheduler (using Python if you don't like Java), something I think
would be rather difficult with other languages.  Maui ME is written in
a well-structured and clear way which makes it easy to do this, and
the developers provide examples.  Since everyone has a different idea
of what an optimal resource allocation is, this is a rather flexible
approach.

In fact, I would say that MauiME and Sun Grid Engine are at opposite
ends of this spectrum: Sun Grid Engine is very fully featured and
complete, but it is open source like Mozilla or OpenOffice is - only a
full-time developer on the project has any hope of understanding and
modifying the code.  MauiME on the other hand in its standard form is
intentionally limited in scope, but from a developer's/customizer's
point of view is gentle to get into and tweek.

Here's my take on the current status of the particular objections.

> First major problem - getting it to install and run.  Took us about 3
> months of trying before we got a version to install, let alone compile
> it.

I managed the installation from zero to operational in less than a day
(tuning took considerably longer).

> Second major problem - It doesn't do things the way OpenPBS/LSF/SGE
> does.

If that bothers you.

>  You have to create two files for ever batch job - one file that
> is the job script, one file that is the job description.

You can submit jobs with a single file, also MPI jobs.  This file is
not a script, so if your job requires some script to launch in any
case, then, no, you can't integrate the job description into it.

> Third major problem - Submit several hundred jobs to it.  Only the
> first
> 16 or so jobs are used for scheduling.  The rest appear to be ignored.

This doesn't apply to the current version, if it ever applied.
Possibly the person who wrote this had the maximum queued jobs per
user set to 16.

> Fouth major problem - No way to set job priorities, until *AFTER* you
> have submitted the job.  In other words, submit the job, search the
> queue for the job ID, then modifiy the job.  Yea. Right.  That doesn't
> fly here.

As far as I know, *only* the administrator can twiddle the priorities
at all - user jobs get whatever priority has been assigned to the user
or group or account.  If you don't like this, you can overide/enhance
the bit of code which assigns priorities as described.

Eric