Re: Serial over LAN (intel) with debian?

Hi,

> > Has anyone succeed in installing Serial over LAN on a
> > debian server?
>
> I could easily be wrong on this. But from what I understand only a very
> limited number of NICs from Intel and 3Com support this properly.
> Donald Becker talked about it a little on the beowulf list not too long
> ago.  Part of a debate about serial console redirect versus serial over
> LAN.

Thank you for pointing me to that thread on the beowulf list. I'm pretty
shure that my server board (Intel® Server Board SE7500WV2) can handle
serial over lan "in principle", but, as Donald Becker said on the
mailing list:

<quote>
The implementation is challenging and varies by system.  We implement it
for customers, but right now it would be a huge amount of work to
support it for aribitrary kernels and configurations.
</quote>

Cheers, Thomas