Serial over LAN (intel) with debian?

Hi,

modern intel server provide a mechanism for remote management.
In this context they also provide tons of acronyms (IPMI, ISM,
ISC, BMC, imb, just to name a few) and even linux support,
which turns out to manifest in several rpm binaries (kernel
modules and user space programs) designed to work with specific
redhat releases, licenced under some Intel EULA.

One of the features I am interested in, is the forwarding
of the serial console / BIOS console via Ethernet LAN, which
is one of the more recent features. This type of service
is provided by a network proxy that talks to the server in
conjunction with a telnet-like client frontend.

I succeeded in installing a proxy/client pair that I downloaded
from the intel web site (CLI version 1.4 rpm) on a debian woody
system. So I am able to power on/off the servers from remote.
The Serial over LAN feature however (as far as I understand)
requires an more recent version of these utilities which I
was not able to get running (proxy segfaults when client
connects).

Has anyone succeed in installing Serial over LAN on a
debian server?

Thanks for any hint!

Cheers, Thomas