Passwordless ssh access among nodes - HOW?

Dear folks

I am setting up a small Beowulf-style cluster using Debian Linux and
have
got to the point where I can boot the LAM/MPI and run my MPI programs.

However, nodes ask for passwords so I'd like to setup the cluster to
allow passwordless ssh for everyone.

I have browsed FAQs and newsgroups and here is what
I have done so far on two machines (to test it)
  1: entered public keys in /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts on both machines
  2: entered hosts in /etc/ssh/shosts.equiv on both machines
  3: set ssh and key-sign with the suid bit set on server
  4: set RhostsRSAAuthentication and HostbasedAuthentication to yes in
both
     ssh_config and sshd_config on both machines.
  5: restarted ssh daemon on both

When I try to logon with ssh -v from client to server I get messages
from 'Remote' that identity has been verified by shosts.equiv twice and
then it goes on to normal password authentication.

Can anyone tell me the procedure please?

Cheers and thanks in advance

Ole

Dr. Ole Nielsen           | Software Engineer
Urban Risk Research Group | E: Ole.Nielsen@ga.gov.au
Geoscience Australia      | P: +61 2 6249 9048
Canberra, Australia       | F: +61 2 6249 9986