Re: Kernel based checkpoint

On Wed 10/01/03 21:37, Szalai Ferenc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know kernel based checkpoint solution for Linux 2.4.x or
> 2.6.x kernel serie which is still developed and always updated for new
> kernels and supports network socket
> checkpoint as well?

An up-to-date checkpointer is chpox [1]. This is a kernel module that
works with any 2.4.x kernel.

"CHPOX supports: dumping of virtual memory, regular files, terminal state,
current working directory, pipes, multiple non-interacting processes." [1]

There are a couple more kernel-based checkpointing packages listed at
www.checkpointing.org, but you'll probably notice that none of these can
handle the kind of processes that chpox can. However, some do offer
things like MPI checkpointing.

One thing you might want to note is network socket checkpointing is
broken by design. Both sides of the socket would need to be chkpt at the
same exact time. This, and a bunch of other issues, make socket chkpting
and migration a very, very difficult task. I've yet to come accrossed
one that does it.

[1] http://www.cluster.kiev.ua/tasks/chpx_eng.html

--

| Josh Lauricha            |