Bonded gigabit cards

I am doing research for a small cluster to be built for use at UCR's
bioinformatics department. Since this cluster will mainly be used in
blast or similar applications that mainly involve a few transfers of
large chunks of data, I am of the opinion that Myrinet cards would be
a massive waste of money. Instead, we plan on using dual bonded gigabit
channels. Is anyone aware of the CPU overhead incurred by bonded gigabit
devices?

After skimming through the bonding documents with the kernel, it appears
that boding is possible over any switches, however it seems to be
implying that this is for high availability boding, rather than high
performance bonding. From previous posts to this list, I seem to recall
that its possible to have eth0 and eth1 connected through different
switches on different subnets and relying one the kernel bonding to
handle the rest, is this accurate?

Thanks in advance,
--

| Josh Lauricha            |