Re: error - tftp: arp timeout

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 08:46, Kurt Keville wrote:
> Well, you are definitely looking in the right place...
>
> This almost always is a simple address or netmask problem. Make sure you
> are using the latest dhcpd (http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/dhcp-v3.html)
> conf syntax and then you can diagnose what is going on by opening up
> another terminal and running arp -a during the boot... there is a good
> MAC-whacking script at http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~alfw/PXE-Kickstart/ if
> you want to automate the process.

I don't know, it sounds like dhcp may be working but tftpd not.

Have you tried tftping to the server, to make sure you can get the file?

Also, how big is the file?  A lot of netbooters can't cope with anything
bigger than 640K (Thanks again, Bill!).  So you have to make an
etherboot which works with your NIC, and load that first, then have
etherboot load the kernel.

I don't know how to make the etherboot, but with dhcp3-server, you can
serve different files depending on the client string (so PXE gets
etherboot, and etherboot gets the kernel).  See e.g.
http://bugs.debian.org/156810 for a little script that generates most of
such a dhcp.conf using update-cluster.

> ...and stay tuned, we are striving to update the debian-diskless HOWTO.

Indeed...
--
-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg