error - tftp: arp timeout

I'm in the process of putting together a diskless openMosix cluster with netboot and the debian diskless system (among other things).

I've gone through the process of compiling appropriate kernels, constructing base.tgz files, constructing the diskless filesystem in /var/lib/diskless/, installing the kernel, creating a new host, tagging the kernel with mknbi-linux, making a boot floppy with makerom, setting up a dhcp server on the main server to provide the bootImage, and install and configure the tftpd daemon in inetd.conf to server the bootImage (and reset everything, phew!).

So heres my problem, i have the main server on and waiting, and i boot the client from the floppy i made. The client boots, recognizes the NIC, gets the correct address from the DHCP server (correctly shows up in the dhcp server logs), lists its address and the address of the server and the location of the bootImage correctly, then the boot pauses for a few seconds and says:

	TFTP: ARP TIMEOUT
	(something about pressing a key to reboot and try again)

I've been looking all over to try and remedy the problem, but to no avail. I tested the tftp server to make sure i can get the file from another computer (worked), i've ensured that my network wide dhcp server is not stepping on the toes of the diskless dhcp server (its not, the diskless is the one that servers the client with info, and the other one says in its log that it has no info for that host, which is correct). I've tried changing around using hostnames vs ip in all the config scripts i can think of (didnt help, but i've made sure that all of the info is in the /etc/hosts file for the diskless server).

I found an older post on this list talking about the tftp root address in inetd.conf vs in the dhcp/bootp config file and tried adjusting them (no help, in fact when i change them the error appears immediately, so i'm pretty sure something else is wrong).

At this point i dont know what to do, does anyone know what might be going wrong? If it would help, i can post the hosts files, dhcpd.conf file, inetd.conf file, etc. etc. I'm also thinking of running something like tcpdump to see if i can figure out who's not talking when the should be. Any insight would be much appreciated.

-Matthew