Gigabit ethernet advice

I am working with a cluster of 10 Athlon 1900+'s, and
I am considering upgrading from 100 MBit to Gigabit
ethernet.

Our primary application involves passing a small
number of relatively large (roughly 500 kbyte)
messages.  With our present configuration, the CPUs
spend about half their time idle while waiting on the
network.

I would appreciate any advice that people might have
about gigabit ethernet.  What sort of performance
boost can I realistically expect?  What particular
NIC's and/or switches seem to work well?

Many thanks,
Aaron Grant
aaronkgrant@yahoo.com