Re: Just A Few Questions...

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:16:51AM -0600, myuu wrote:

:Hey all, I'm in need of some help/advise. I'm working on a project for a
:HS extracircular activity and my plan was to build a beowulf. But with 2
:wks till i need to be done, its turned into a 16 node openMosix cluster.
:Obviously, with all those machines I really don't want to install and
:recompile each machine, so...

if you use make-kpkg to build the kernel you'll endup with a .deb file
you can install an all the systems with only one compile.  This is
what I do for my openMosix system.

:1)my plan is to get one node working and dd'ing the two HDs (dd
:if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb); since all these machines are identical, with
:should work right? if not, is there anoher way?

if the drives are identical it should work.  the other option is to
have one master node and run the others diskless

:
:2)my plan is to run math software on the cluster (perhaps run apache and
:a php script for web interface for the math teachers); since Mathematica
:doesn't utilize openMosix (cause it doesn't do smp i think?), what math
:software works well?

for openMosix specific questions you may want to join the openMosix
list there must be a link on http://openmosix.sourceforge.net to the
list.  There's a wiki FAQ here
http://howto.ipng.be/openMosixWiki/index.php/work%20smoothly

to really take advantage of the nodes you'll need to break your
computation into independent bite size chunks or run multiple
independent calculations.

openMosix doesn't handle threads and there's only recently been patch
available to handle shared memory.  These are the mostly how apps
designed for SMP systems work.  OpenMosix is a bit corser than this.

Definately look at the wiki, the FAQ and HOWTO.  With two weeks, I'd
look for something know to work well and use that as your demo app if
possible.

:3)what directories are safe to export out to the node?

if it's not on the internet and it's a closed system with trusted
users pretty much everything is fair game, what were you thinking of
exporting?

:thats all i can think of all far as questions, if anyone wants, i can
:send a pic when im done ;P.

So where did a HS student turn up 16 nodes?

-Jon