quick question

i just acquired a bunch of old computers which I am attempting to cluster.
(MOSIX)

i have searched around, and have been unable to find what kernel version I
should be running.  the patch from mosix.org says it should be put on a
2.4.20 kernel, but after looking through the package lists on debian.org,
the 2.4.20 kernel is not yet a stable kernel, and unfortunately, have not
yet learned how to install a new kernel outside of $apt-get install
[kernel].  if a non-stable kernel is required, i can most likely get some
help from some of my linux buddies to help me out with compiling a new
kernel.

so... i try using the debian package for mosix ($apt-get install
kernel-patch-mosix).  this installs, but after reading the README, i am
unsure if this will work.  now, after installing this patch, i find
/usr/src/kernel-patches/i386/mosix/patches.2.4.17.gz
does this mean that this has installed a 2.4.17 kernel?  or does this mean
it will work best with a 2.4.17 kernel?

anyways, next i do $apt-get install mosix
which goes through some install and a bit of config, and when it goes to
start up the mosix kernel it says:
Starting mosix node: Kernel not mosix enabled.  Aborting.

thoughts?

-doug