Re: FAI

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Dale Harris wrote:

> So how many people out there are using FAI?
>
> http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/
>
> I guess this is supposed to be an equivalent to Kickstart on RedHat?

More or less.  I've never used kickstart, so I can't make a personal
comparison, but from those who have, I think the phrase was "more powerful
but hairier".

> Any reviews?  Good, bad, or ugly?

I love it.  I make it do things it wasn't originally designed for (the mark
of a good tool, IMO).  A nice idea, has some hair, and some little "WTF?"s,
but once you get into it, it can save you soooo much time if you know how.

It's use, in my opinion, is any situation where you need to produce multiple
machines with matching configurations.  Possibly multiple different types of
machines.  Can be done all at once or staggered over time.

#include <disclaimer.h>
Matthew Palmer, Geek In Residence
http://ieee.uow.edu.au/~mjp16