Re: ethernet channel bonding

At 04:03 AM 10/10/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I posted this to debian-user but didn't get any replies.  Then I found out
>about this list, and figured I might find more channel bonding experience
>here.
>
>hello,
>
>I am having some trouble getting channel bonding to work.
>I have tried several different setups, as I am not clear how exactly you are
>supposed to do this.
>bonding module is loaded at startup (added with modconf)
>the two pairs of NICs are connected directly using crossover cables.
>eth0 in both machines is an rtl8139.
>eth1 in both machines is an fealnx.
>I am aware of the issue with rtl8139 MAC addresses, but since it is the
first
>card, it doesn't matter (ie, the other card copies its MAC address).
>
>setup 1:
>
>eth0 is configured to be 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0 in /etc/network/interfaces
>eth1 is configured to be 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 in /etc/network/interfaces

All of the action in bonding takes place at layer 2 so this will be ignored
when you bring the bonding device up. If you want to clone MAC addresses
you have to do it with

ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:01

or similar construct...

We have a fairly robust thread on this issue in our archives... check it
out at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-beowulf/2001/debian-beowulf-200111/threads.html

Kurt Keville
Debian Beowulf Users Group (DeBUG)