Re: ssh vs rsh

On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 17:23:54 -0300 (BRT)
"Jorge L. deLyra" <delyra@latt.if.usp.br> wrote:

Hi,

> I agree, if we are talking only about the use for a cluster within a
> private network, there is no point in using ssh and you are better off
> using rsh for some needs. There is no harm in having both rsh and ssh
> present, using ssh for root access and normal low-load activities, rsh
> when you have reason to worry about the overhead. Setting rsh for root
> used to be simple, but became a mess once pam was introduced.

If you are running dsh, it would be pretty obvious :) (dsh is just a wrapper
over rsh or ssh, executing rsh and ssh in different topologies.)

Running 20 ssh at the same time is a pretty heavy process.

ssh authentication requires a large overhead.
To overcome that there are solutions like fsh, but
really, rsh is much simpler (.rhosts), and faster.

I would recommend rsh if inside firewall, and
possibly using fsh. Not really ssh.

rsh login is instantaneous, there is a notable delay in
ssh login (because of its authentication).

regards,
	junichi

--
dancer@debian.org  http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer