Re: make-kpkg 2.4.18 gige

At 05:21 PM 5/28/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I am trying to include the e1000 (intel gige driver) into the kernel
>using make kpkg. I have to compile it as a module and then i want to have
>it be included in the kernel so my diskless nodes can mount nfs over the
>gige cards.But i haven't had any luck getting it to work. Does anybody
>have any advice.
>Thanks rob

You don't want that driver in the kernel because Intel comes out with an
update about once a month. And anyway, there are plenty of other reasons to
minimize your kernel size on a diskless cluster, bandwidth contention at
boot time being one of them*. My rec. is to use the internal 100mbps NIC
for the initial PXE boot and leave the e1000 driver on the server until
after your ramdisk is set up. That will keep the initrd image size down and
defer module distribution until after you have a fully functional (albeit
100mbps) cluster. Could you do it your way? Sure. Should you? There is
nothing elegant about a diskless cluster. Don't try to put lipstick on a pig.

* There is no way to recover from one of the many failures associated with
TFTP that doesn't require either user intervention or an Emergency
Management port. For a partial list of the nightmares that await you,
unless you use a proper MTFTP server, see
http://oss.software.ibm.com/pipermail/linux-lui-install/2001-March/000278.html

Kurt Keville
Debian Beowulf Users Group (DeBUG)
http://www.extreme-linux.com