Re: linux mips pvm problem

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 10:11:12AM -0600, Scott Hussey wrote:
> To follow up on my previous question, I found a solution for us. It turns
> out that if you have 127.0.0.1 in your /etc/hosts file, pvm binds to the
> wrong address and then you get the "add <host>" -> terminate behavior.
> Removing it and leaving only an entry for the intranet/internet address
> for the machine allows it to work fine. I'm not sure what side-effects
> this will have on the rest of the system. I guess we will find out.

   This was a known problem that used to be documented (just checked, isn't
anymore).  How did you end up with your hostname on the 127.0.0.1 address? I
may have to put that discussion back into README.Debian.
   pvm forwards the raw IP number over the pvmd connections, using the
hostname to look them up.  It really needs a better method.  It either needs
more new upstream code to more intelligently find it's own IP address, or
(the Debian workaround) the distribution/sysadmin needs to not put the
hostname on the loopback interface in /etc/hosts.

-Drake