Re: mosix is in unstable.

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 10:21:37AM -0700, A.J. Rossini wrote:

> Your tools (mproc/mtop, and the mosix "setup", i.e. /etc/mosix.map,
> work for me (the latter, in that it didn't overwrite my settings).

There is a slight problem with the way I had to compile mtop.
Basically, mtop depended up NR_TASKS which is no longer there in the 2.4.x
kernels. So, for now, I have defined it as 4096 and compiled mtop. It
should not be a problem though, because with 50 machines, one can have upto
80 processes per machine without overflowing mtop's buffers.

> I'm still building my own kernels.  Can't get out of the habit, ever
> since 0.98...

I believe many people do this. However, installing kernel-patch-mosix just
installs the kernel-patch in /usr/src/kernel-patches.
You can then patch the kernel by simply changing to the kernel top level
directory, and running
/usr/src/kernel-patches/i386/apply/mosix

It checks for the kernel version etc. and if the patch can be applied, and
then applies the patch. The kernel can also be unpatched with
/usr/src/kernel-patches/i386/unpatch/mosix

After that build the kernel and install.. make-kpkg would be a good way
to build the kernel, because it makes a deb, which can simply be installed
on all the other machines. Also, the process of applying the patches can
be integrated with make-kpkg..

Though, I believe you will still prefer patching your kernel, compiling and
installing it manually ! ;-)

viral

--
"Live for today, gone tomorrow, that's me, HaHaHaaaaaa!"