Re: Anyone have a good howto on how to get channel bonding going?

On Wed, 2001-11-14 at 08:57, Kurt Keville wrote:
> Prof. Itti has some good advice on how to set them up...
>
> http://ilab.usc.edu/beo/
> http://www.beowulf.org/pipermail/beowulf/2000-October/010254.html
>
> he has posted a bunch of things to the listservs on how to straighten out
> some driver problems if you are using the same NICs as he is...
>
> BTW, RedHat 7.2 implements bonding differently. I understand  they don't
> use ifenslave.

This helped me a lot.  I seem to be able to get bond0 interfaces working
now.  The stacked mirrored switches are working with the cloned MAC
addresses in each eth0 and eth1 card.

I've isolated my problems to the ifenslave never being able to release
the interfaces nor really cleanly "enslaving" the interfaces.  It works,
it's not pretty and one day I'll figure out why when I'm not in such a
hurry to get the cluster running.  I think it gets down to ifenslave -e
and ifenslave -E differences.

I may need to try this after reading the docs:

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
address yadda.yadda.yadda.yadda
netmask 255.255.255.0
pre-up ifconfig eth0 up && ifconfig eth1 up
up ifenslave -e bond0 eth0 eth1
down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1
post-down ifconfig eth0 down && ifconfig eth1 down

to see if it's cleaner.  The docs say the ifenslave should always be run
after the bond0 comes up but it seems to work (admittetly borkedly) at
the moment with a pre-up -E invocation.

--mike