Re: pbuilder

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Dale Amon wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 03:29:00PM +0200, Jens Ruehmkorf wrote:
> > But if you want to get rid of your doc/* and man/* files, you could use
> > apt.conf(5) and "Post-Invoke" to automatically delete those after having
> > installed/updated software. That's a fast and easy way to do it inside a
> > chroot-env.
> >

> But how do I modify the apt.conf in such a way that
> it gets used by both debootstrap and pbuilder and yet
> doesn't affect normal installs on my workstation?

Probably I didn't make myself clear ;) What I mean is:  Edit

workstation:/path_to_chroot/etc/apt/apt.conf

but leave your

workstation:/etc/apt/apt.conf

untouched. When you invoke apt inside a chroot, it only sees everything
under /path_to_chroot, right?

> Perhaps a better approach is a pbuilder API for this sort of thing.
> Perhaps a hook or hooks for user scripts to intervene at key points
> before the base.tgz gets tarballed?

True.

Until Junichi gets to add such a feature (iff he finds it to be useful), I
simply would write a wrapper-script for pbuilder, like:

-- /usr/local/sbin/pbuilder-wrapper --
#!/bin/bash

# use "$@" instead of $* !
/usr/sbin/pbuilder "$@"

cd /usr/local/lib/pbuilder/hooks/
for hook in * ; do
  local filetype=`file --dereference $hook`
  case $filetype in
    *Bourne*shell*script*)
      . ./$hook
    ;;
    *"perl script"*)
      ./$hook
    ;;
    *)
      echo "E: unknown file type for file $filetype"
    ;;
  esac
done
-- end ---

That's merely how such a script could look like, I have not tested it.
Maybe you would like to use a suffix from 00 to 99 (like in rc?.d) to
guarantee order of invocation.

Here is a example how you could use an apt.conf inside your chroot:

-- /to_be_copied_to/chroot/etc/apt/apt.conf --
// just a harmless example for use in chroot

DPkg {

  Pre-Invoke {
    "printf 'Hello dpkg.'\\n";
  };

  Post-Invoke {
    "printf 'Goodbye dpkg.'\\n";
  };

};
-- end --

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Jens

--
ruehmkorf at informatik dot uni hyphen koeln dot de