Re: Atlas-3.2.1

Hi Adam!

Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu> writes:

> >O contraire (sp?)!  That's the beauty of this, IMHO.  You *can* link
> >just with -lblas and -llapack, and installing atlas will provide
> >optimized versions of those libs, speeding things up without a
> >recompile.  And, as earlier indicated, these may be available for more
> >platforms given atlas' size.  Ocate, and I believe R, are already in
> >the process of using this feature.  Check the file-list of the atlas
> >packages.
> >
> Really?  Then what's the advantage of linking -llapack_atlas -lcblas etc.?
>
> I'll switch the Build-Depends to atlas2-base-dev.

If your programs only call atlas via the lapack and/or blas
api, then there is no advantage to -latlas, etc.  They are all rolled
into the atlas supplied libblas and liblapack, thereby making your
program portable across all (shared) lapack and blas implementations.

If you go this route, which is in general a good idea, then you should
build-depend on lapack-dev and/or blas1-dev.

-latlas need only be used if your prgram calls functions via their
ATL_... names.

> I was under the impression that Kazushige Goto's alpha assembler BLAS
> were included in ATLAS.  If so, there are two versions: ev4-56 and ev6,
> the former I think is optimized for ev5 but the latter does not run on
> pre-ev6 CPUs since it uses things like hardware sqrt instructions.  I
> don't think the ev6-optimized version is that much faster except for
> Cholesky decomposition which uses sqrt (dtrmm?).

Thanks for this tip -- I'll check into this.  Upstream had previously
indicated that all alpha builds will run on a general representative
of the arch, but you are right about Goto's contributions, so I'll
double check.

> Thank you again, these are terrific packages!

You're most welcome!  Glad you find them useful.