hardware

I am building a cluster and i was wondering what would be more important,
memory with lower latency (cas 2 compared to cas 3) or more memory( 512
megs compared to 1 gig). Is memory latency a bottleneck in clustered
computering or is it usually memory size that is the bottleneck. Also
would it be better to have 20 smp machines or 40 single processor
machines( both of which would be connected by 100base-t).If anybody could
point me to some benchmarks that would be very helpful also.

thanks
rob