Re: Building a beowuld using debian

Greetings!

"Arthur H. Edwards" <edwards@eece.unm.edu> writes:

> I have started building a Debian Beowulf cluster. However, I am not sure
> of the optimal file structure on the nodes,

We have a small cluster here, and have taken the perspective that
having a local disk root filesystem is good, as it is more  widely
used, and saves network bandwidth.  Many of our data files are very
large -- being able to distribute them to local disk across the
cluster boosts performance significantly.  Of course, your mileage may
vary, especially if the cluster is very large.

We nfs mount home from the master node, which (alone) is a dual cpu
machine.

> of appropriate boot methods,

We use just plain lilo, setup to export its output to a serial
console.

> and of the required software. Any assistance or pointers to appropriate

The list here is getting to be quite large.  I'm not sure if I even
know anything comprehensive anymore.  We use here:

lam (runtime, dev, lib)
scalapack, lapack (dev, test, lib, lam shared packages)
blas (and atlas!)
xmpi

plus the standard development stuff.

Take care,