Re: Startup documentation

Greetings!

Eray Ozkural <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr> writes:

> Gaston Senac wrote:
>

> > I am porting those scripts to Debian, and trying to build a Spanish site about the Beowulf thing... any help or resources apreciated :-)
> >

> That's great work! In fact, there are many resources lying around. For true Beowulf support in
> Debian these resources must be merged and hacked for Debian. Many cluster related packages
> are in potato, but lam, mpich and others just don't suffice to make Debian the os-of-choice
> for making a beowulf.
>
> I'll send my bookmarks to the list, collected as a result of my personal taste and research about
> parallel programming.

I'd be interested in such a list as well.  I think what might be
holding back the Debian Beowulf effort, for me at least, is the lack of
familiarity with the tools and scripts used elsewhere to ease the
process.  Once you've solved a problem for yourself, it always seems
easy, and development stops.

I'd also be interested in your opinions about what *would* make Debian
"the" os of choice for Beowulves.

> > As far as I know... there's nothing strictly for Debian :-(
> > Am I wrong?
> >

> No. There are no policies, or Debian specific software for parallel/distributed processing. It's just that there are a few libs and apps that work with
> lam/mpich/pvm, and also stuff like dqs.
> For instance, we don't have an official equivalent of the RH kickstart installation method for Debian.

How does this work?

> There is neither an official remote package management stuff for Debian clusters. Though, that's
> the kind of stuff you understand from "Debian Beowulf".

Again, any examples such a system, and/or a list of desired features
over 'for i in node ; do rsh node "dpkg -i ..." ; done'?

> We're trying out FAI (Fully Automatic Installation) for Debian right now. I'll report on its success.

Look forward to it!