Re: High Availability

Hi Camm,

While MOSIX does provide some of the required single system image support
required for such applications, there seem to be alternatives. There are
some light kernel patches, such as bproc, etc. that give a global PID space.
There are also some distributed shared memory implementations, DSM is I can
recall at the moment. I think you might want to check them from
www.beowulf-underground.org . Anyhow, there is no complete solution to these
matters as Red Hat claims :) That is, you might get some HA features with
this stuff, but you'd be miles off without, say, a decent DFS. To be
certain, only some of them could be realized, because Linux is *not* a
distributed operating system.

See,

> It lets users combine individual servers into a
> cluster, resulting in highly available access to critical network
resources
> such as data, applications,
> network services, and more.

You just implement some location transparency for some of the services in a
system, and call it a HA server. I guess that's pretty doable.

I'd strongly argue that the only real new thing that can be offered would be
web servers with a parallel I/O back-end; which my advisor asked me to
implement. But I'm not doing that :-) Personally, I wouldn't think that you
can just apply the MOSIX kernel patches, install apache, and get the
ultimate scalable web server. It just won't work that way.