Re: Building a NOW with Debian

 I have a related interest.
I'd like to be able to install a multiple versions of debian (and maybe
other linuxes) on a single mashine.
Why:
  be able to test a new version or distribution
  be able to install from a running system to another disk
    (or set of partitions or just a subdirectory), so that I could
    either:
      move that disk to another machine, roboot, voila finished system
      make a new base.tgz for more or less the same purpuse
      make a nfs-exportable subdir for a nfs-root client

To handle this the installation tool should
  be independent of which version of kernel/debian to install
  if possible be independent of target architekture
  be able to install to a subdirectory
  be able to be run from special boot floppies as well from a running
    system
  be able to handle dependancies among installed systems like
    common /usr or /usr/share hiearchies

I also see the need to seperate kernelrelated stuff from the rest.
Why not use a setup like this:

/kernel/version/my_version/ (and possible an arch intheresomewhere) e.g.

/kernel/2.0.36/fw
/kernel/2.0.36/org
/kernel/2.0.36/test

In that directory you stuff all things specific to that kernel compilation
like

zImage (or vmlinuz if you like)
System.map
config (a copy of the .config used to create this kernel is handy to have
around)
block, fs, misc, net, scsi and whatever module diretories
modules.dep (why should we recalculate it at every boot)
and maybe move /etc/modules /etc/modutils there
and possible an initrd image

In /boot you have the usual lilo stuff, but /etc/lilo.conf should be moved
there too
 and a "cd /etc; ln -s ../boot/lilo.conf ." be made.
Then you have one and only one lilo.conf for all your bootable linux
 installations on that machine.

Since kernel stuff and booting are strongly related either:
  merge /boot and /kernel to either of them
  symlink them
  keep them seperate

Cheers,
/Karl

Karl Hammar		Aspö Data		karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340		0173 140 57
S-742 94 Östhammar	070 511 97 84		Professionella Linuxlösningar
Sweden